Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cool Beans!

I thought I would share with you my beautiful, and very prolific Dragon Tongue Beans! They are growing abundantly, and it has been so much fun to try growing and eating something new. Aren't they beautiful?

They're more of a yellow background, than green, with the purple stripes, which fade away when they're cooked. (Kinda sad.) They're broader and longer than my green beans. You're supposed to pick them when they're about the length of a hand! And, if you want, you can leave them on the plant to become dried beans. But fresh like this, they're like sweet green beans, and are delicious even eaten raw.

One kind of funny thing: The regular green beans, which are growing in the bed behind the Dragon Tongue Beans, have light purple streaks on many of them. I guess some of the pollen blew back to color them up real pretty.

Here is the flourishing Dragon Tongue Bean bed. Only about 3 plants didn't germinate, out of about 64, and they're doing really well! Now, if only my kids would come home to help me eat them all! (Hey Abby--guess what we're having with dinner when you're here?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work
and reporting! Keep up the good works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

My web blog: green coffee reviews