Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Midlife, Midterm

I just realized that I think I'm having a midlife crisis. That's what all this is. The tears, the fears, the anxiety, the regrets, the sadness, the longing. How long is it supposed to last, anyway?

On another note, I just finished writing an eight-page essay comparing and contrasting the Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States for my Political Science class. I really don't like that class at all, but I have to say, I am very grateful for the knowledge I am gaining. "Becoming a more informed citizen" has long been on my list of things to do before I die. So, besides fulfilling a requirement toward my Associate's degree and RN prerequisites, I'm really killing a second proverbial bird. And with a really important election coming up in California (elsewhere too, I know), this is excellent timing. I actually feel ready to vote.

This Friday is also my Microbiology midterm exam. Dare I jinx everything to say that this is my favorite class of all the classes I've taken so far? And here, I've dreaded the word "microbiology" for at least twenty years. Literally. Just goes to show. It doesn't mean that this class isn't kicking my rear-end, because it is hard. Really hard. But so dang interesting. You know my recombinant E. coli cells from last week? We had 86 glowing colonies! Can you believe it? That was an exceptional result, and so very cool to see, I have to tell you. Tomorrow's exam covers everything from microbial metabolism to DNA analysis. I find it all fascinating, and I'm praying I can remember enough to get an A.

Now, back to my first question. Seriously, how long does a midlife crisis last? I don't want to do anything stupid.


4 comments:

isshou ni said...

I had that going on too. Finally I realized that I might be starting perimenopause. Which I was. So I read this awesome book, "What your Doctor WON'T tell you about perimenopause. Then I prayed, a very desperate, sincere, sobbing long prayer asking Father what I should do. He told me. I feel like myself again. It took a couple months to really adjust back again, but some improvement started after a couple of days. This may or may not be what is going on with you, but just in case....

Missy said...

Hang in there. Tomorrow's a new day! :)

Saint Holiday said...

Mid-life crisis ultimately turns into old-age crisis. Enjoy the ride. Poor creature. I love you.

Dad

Cynthia said...

I call it a "Mid-Mom Crisis" and I'm just barely starting to come out of it because I finally found my 'next' thing/ phase. My 'Mid-Mom Crisis' lasted for about 2 years but wasn't super intense- just frustrating.