Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oh, Happy Day!


They're home!

I can tell because I suddenly have no time and someone's constantly hungry. Food is disappearing and the dishes aren't. But, oh, what a pleasure to feed them!

I can tell because there's giggling girls playing cards with Uncle Tony. . .

And a flurry of video game action happening in the family room. . .

I went to the Burbank airport to pick them up on Friday afternoon. The first one to come out and greet me was Aiden, running to me, with a huge smile on his face. He wrapped his arms around me and said, "You stand out in the crowd, Mom. I knew it was you immediately because you're so pretty!" I just started weeping. To have him back in my arms and to see his little boy face. He's bigger and I missed it. I hate that. But I was so, so happy to see him and squeeze him and just cry and laugh.

Lyndsay and Dylan came a minute later, and I hugged these two kids of mine that are now taller than I am. More tears. Sweet Lyndsay that missed me so much and called every single day that she could, just to talk. ("I just want to call you and talk to you all day every day, Mom."--what a blessing that my 14 year old daughter feels that way!) She's even prettier, if that's possible, her teeth are even straighter, she's taller. And I missed it. Dylan greeted me with, "Mom, you're a sight for sore eyes! You are so beautiful! I didn't realize how much I missed you until I saw your face." (How lucky am I that my 12 year old son says that to me unabashedly?) I had to stare at them, touch them, smell them, hold them close. I just wanted to listen to them all the way home. Just talk to me. Let me hear your voices.

So life got loud and messy and busy in an instant, and I'm happily exhausted. Conor remembered them and ran right up to each of them with hugs. Caitlin and Sean spent the weekend with us, and to have everyone all together was pure bliss. We had Family Movie Night on Friday, and Lyndsay's birthday celebration on Saturday, followed by attending our Stake's production of The Music Man. Which was incredible. Full orchestra and everything. Living in Los Angeles has some perks.
Here's the cake, which Hannah believed I could do. Thanks, Hannah. Your chocolate cake recipe turned out incredibly. And Lyns was surprised and delighted with my design, which makes it all worthwhile.



Here are a few more photos:

13 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm so glad they made it home safely Jenna!

Your kids are seriously good looking kids. And Lyns is just stunning!

The cake looks great! Love the colors and I'm glad you liked the recipe. Super easy huh?

Wonder Woman said...

I have tears in my eyes at how sweet your kids are!! That is truly precious that they love you so much and have no problems telling you. They're beautiful inside and out. (Or handsome.)

The first time I read your blog you talked about having Family Movie Night - glad you were able to do that again. Sounds like a realy fun tradition that I'd love to have in my family.

That cake is incredible!! It looks like it should be in a cake decorating book - seriously. And you can't go wrong with chocolate.

Wonder Woman said...

and I love the new layout.

Jodi said...

Welcome home to your beautiful children!

Laurie said...

I'm crying and they aren't even my children. You are one lucky momma! Your children are so beautiful and so so sweet! Your cake turned out great! Way to go! You are so talented! Enjoy your babies being home!

Misty said...

SOOOO GLAD they are home! YAY!

Great job on the cake!!!

And love your background!

anjmae said...

I like the new look of the blog! Very attractive. Ok, so can you send me some instructions on how to do that cake???? I have a sweet little girl with a birthday coming up that would love that!! Enjoy the rest of your summer with the sweeties!

YogaNana said...

Ahhhh, I can feel the happiness way up here! Good to know this part of our family is back together!

Don said...

Happy day! Being a separated family can be so tough, and it's great to all be back together again.

You've got quite the house full of future heartbreakers, don't you?

Anonymous said...

The color on the cake is super!! It came out beautiful.

So glad everyone is home safe from their fun adventures.. The pictures are beautiful.. and I adore the new layout!!!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Your kids are so amazing...such a tribute to you.

Lesley said...

I'm so glad for you, it made me tear up reading this because I know how it feels to finally have them home! And what a beautiful cake! ---oh and love your new background, I'm officially jealous--did you do it yourself?

family said...

Hey I love your cake! Great job! I am glad to see some pics on your blog...I like to think that pictures are worth a thousand words! Your kids are cuties and yes - you are beautiful too!