Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Facta, non verba

(~Deeds, not words)

Why is it that I know what is good for me, what will help me, and even how exuberant I feel when I do it, and I still don't do it? I have a fairly detailed picture of what is ideal for me, to provide physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being, and yet I float somewhere over there in creative avoidance. I have no problem moving heaven and earth for the well-being of my children, or really pretty much anyone else. I would pay lip service to my own worth, but my actions do not back it up. I have a feeling this needs to change.

I feel connected when I take time for my own spiritual renewal each day through study, prayer, and journaling.

I feel alive when I attend to my own health through proper eating, yoga, and walking.

I feel purposeful when I am working towards my personal goals in music and writing.

I feel assured when my home and homeschool are in order.

These are feelings that I am craving right now. Maybe it's the time away from my children, away from the diverting selflessness of motherhood, that shines a glaring light on my own deficiencies. All I know is, it is so much easier to sacrifice for other people than it is to put myself as a priority, even though I know that it makes me better able to serve. So, today I will honor my needs by giving myself a dose of spiritual, physical, and emotional vitamins!

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

You've hit it on the head! I hope the savor of your vitamins was a sweet one to you.

Annette Lyon said...

Must be an epidemic. I've been trying to get back on track with some of these same emotional and spiritual "vitamins" recently because life is so much better when they're part of my life.