Friday, June 8, 2007

Dum Spiro, Spero!

(~while I breathe, I hope!)

I've been gone for a while. A combination of stressful life events, extreme fatigue, and blogger's block. During my absence, I've faithfully kept up on all of YOUR blogs, and have wondered what in the world to write about, since most of what is going on in my life I simply can't write about. Also, during my absence, I've been reading, and dreaming the most excellent dreams while I sleep. My dreams have become true cinematic escapes for me each night, taking me away from this sinking ship that is my life right at this moment.

Speaking of "sinking ships", I just finished reading Life of Pi, and whoa. Very cool book. But somewhere amidst poor Pi's suffering castaway journey at sea, with his companion Bengal tiger sharing the lifeboat with him, I had this weird synchronistic thought. In my whole life, I don't know that I remember reading another book about a sinking ship and a castaway boy stuck at sea with a huge wild animal....oh, yeah, except three months ago when I read Modoc, by Ralph Helfer, in which he recounts the true story of a ship full of circus animals that sinks and a boy going to India and his elephant are the lone survivors. So, then I read Life of Pi and follow the tale of a ship full of zoo animals sinking and a boy coming from India trying to survive at sea with this tiger. Both of these books came into my life through recommendations of two good friends. Does anyone else think this is a little weird, in a cosmic way or something? Oh, and then last week Castaway was on TV, so that makes three.

Well, I may be sinking/sunk/floating aimlessly under the scorching sun with wild animals breathing down my neck, but I'm going to take the cosmic message of rescue and run with it. Maybe the message is that as bad as it seems, as hopeless as circumstances become, there will be a rescue. Pi waited 227 days for his rescue. I'm quite sure I've outdone him ages ago, but I'm hanging on till the bitter end!

5 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

That is wacky; my dad would be very into the synchronicity of it. Run with it! Lots of us are on the shore cheering you on!

YogaNana said...

Combined with other recent comments, this does not sound like the best of times, Jen. We've got a funeral tonight (mmm-hmm, tonight) and opera tomorrow afternoon, but if you want to call I'd like to talk with you. Or tell me when you can get some private time and I'll call you.

By the way, if you remember your Schoolhouse Rock: Three is the Magic Number. So yeah, you might sit with those castaway/rescue thoughts and images and see where they lead you.

Love,
Mom

PEZmama said...

I will be lifting up a prayer on your behalf.

Hang in there.

Annette Lyon said...

I like that Schoolhouse Rock idea--clinging to that rescue metaphor. So sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. I have a feeling you'll end up like the Unsinkable Molly Brown, though. The rescue WILL come.

Anonymous said...

Jenna,

I have been thinking about you a lot lately and today I logged in and read a lot of your blogs. WOW! I know you have close friends and YOUR MOM...lean on them... then take that time to be silent just like you wrote about and listen to the small voice to calm the sea, your wavering sea.

I miss you so much...so so much.
Candi